Friday 24 September 2010

Been Here Before

23 September 2010


Mr Darling Eileen

Ultrasound scans don't always deliver the best of news - as we both well know.

This one was different though.

On Monday, I went with Charlotte and Ivan to Hillingdon Hospital.  Caitlin and Reuben came too.

It was the first chance the two of them had to see their new baby sister or brother.

Thought you would like to know that Charlotte is now just over 20 weeks pregnant - with 'our' fifth grandchild - and she and the baby are doing fine.

She told me back in June, just before I went to Ireland.

But, as you would have been, I have holding back the good news until I was sure everything was going well.

So say 'hello' to your new grandchild...






Caitlin and Reuben both want a baby brother.

Charlotte and Ivan don't mind which, as long as the baby is healthy.

That's what I feel too.

Amid all this excitement there is just one tiny regret.  That's that the new arrival will never ever get to meet its wonderful Oma.

But I promise I will tell him, or her, all about you.

Sad that you won't be around to share in the excitement and joy of a new arrival, as you were with Darcy, Caitlin, Reuben and, more recently, Harriett. 

I would like to think that you are aware - and watching over us to make sure  everything works out just fine.

Your sense of knowing what is the right thing to do, and when to do it, is one of the legacies you have left us - and me, in particular.

So often now, I find I am asking myself what would Eileen have said or done.

You may no longer be around but you have never left us - or ever will.

Love you so much.


For ever, 

Trevor
xxx